Tuesday, September 21, 2010

bitter sweet

On Saturday night we had our first dinner party.  It was so great to be entertaining again and filling our home with friends and fun.  This weekend Gavin Kerr, Rob's friend and colleague from Macquarie, came over from Sydney for his 30th school reunion.  He stayed with us for for the weekend.  Simultaneously, Hannalie and Dirk spent the weekend here so our house was full to bursting!  Having Hannalie here has been so special for me.  Our friendship has lasted the distance of 16 years and many kilometres.  We have laughed and shared a lot.  It was a great weekend of good food and wine and lovely river walks and outings.  On Saturday night Koos and Liezl joined us for dinner with Hannalie and Dirk. 

It was quite weird.  I really had a good time but also felt twinges of sadness.  I thought of Kim and Loraine as I served the red lentil soup.  I longed for Lara as everyone complimented me on the lamb youvetsi.  I wanted Cullum and Bev to be here for the apple strudel.  Where was Vonnie when I poured tea from my pot?  We danced around my living room without Charl and Celina!

So while I continue to pedal uphill I can see the plateau in the distance and the road is lined with beautiful trees.

1 comment: