Friday, November 5, 2010

maths puzzles

These are the kind of maths problems that Russell (year 3) brings home regularly for homework:


"Five Students are sitting in a row of chairs along one side of the room.  Jennifer sits beside Alison but not beside Peta.  Steven sits in the second seat on the left.  Alison sits between (but not necessarily next to) David and Peta.  Steven sits beside David.  Who sits in the middle seat?"


Or try this one:

"At the water tap there are only three litre and five litre containers.  The children must pour exactly seven litres of water into a tub.  How can they measure exactly seven litres?"


I love it!  They make me think a bit too and I am constantly amazed that Russell can get to the answers after some thought and scribbling.



2 comments:

  1. This is not my kind of blog - I want news, not maths. I was always so rotten at Word Sums!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. please can you give us the answers - i didn't do year 3 in australia!!!

    ReplyDelete