Wednesday, November 10, 2010

nanny state

Ok, so I wasn't ready to talk about it:  I failed my driving test!  After twenty years of successfully navigating my way through the hazards of South African streets and the rush hour of London as a rep, I failed my driving test.  I was mortified.  This small failure and hurdle suddenly seemed so big and overpowering as it brought out all my "new migrant" emotions.  I questioned whether I was really doing ok.  Am I really fitting into the system?  Am I up for this challenge?  I cried a bit, well actually a lot, and then took small steps forward.  The great success of my failure was that three beautiful girlfriends cheered me up with gifts, sms'es and calls which proves that I am actually doing ok.  It was then back in the little Noddy car for lots of practice looking over my shoulder at the blindspots, not crossing my arms over on the steering wheel and not coasting with my foot on the clutch - all a build up of years of relaxed driving.

The tricky part was getting another appointment because the driving centres are all full to the end of the year.  I managed to get an opening in Mandurah which is an hour's drive from here at 7.50am yesterday morning.  I headed off at 6.30am and made my way down the freeway in time.  This time the tester was a dear old grandad who kindly took me through my paces for 30 minutes.  This time all the boxes were ticked and I was given the green light to drive.  I smiled broadly into the camera for my driver's card before making the trip home.

My South African license expires today.  And now, at last, I can talk about it.

1 comment:

  1. Well done - so proud of you. It must be very difficult to take the driving test after collecting years of bad habits.

    ReplyDelete