Saturday, December 4, 2010

it's up

The advent box had new Christmas balls in it on Friday which subtly announced that the tree could go up.  The boys were so excited and tackled the annual project with vigour.  We are definitely at the stage of our lives where the tree is more of a monument to enthusiasm than a decorative work of art.  I love taking out all the old decorations that  each have a memory for us.  There are clay bells that Adam made at Kildare, Russell's artwork of sucker stick stars and many other gaudy trinkets that I have gathered over the years.  This year we even added melted tinsel!  Last year the tinsel got mouldy in the horrible storeroom below the rental in Newlands and I diligently washed and blow dried it.  The result is very retro and my crazy family insisted on using it!  I have given up any hope of every having one of those beautiful trees that adhere to a theme or colour and are perfectly balanced and eye catching.  There beauty cannot be denied but their very make up is far too boring for me.  I lovingly dust off the ornament with Rob and my photo from 1993 each year and chuckle at our youth and innocence, not to mention Rob's big round specs.

So the tree is up and its feet are wrapped in the quilt that my American mom made lovingly for me in 1990.  Every Christmas past is glued together in the corner of our lounge and there are three little boys getting more and more excited as the days pass.

There are homes that are covered in lights here.  Last week we drove past a home that even had the lights flashing to music that was being transmitted over the radio waves on the frequency given on a huge billboard out front!  People go all out and share in the joy.  It is great fun for everyone in this build up to the big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment