Tuesday, January 25, 2011

lazy summer days


We are still having holiday fun.  Our days are filled with walks, swims in the river, jumps off the jetty and picnics at all the lovely spots.  The boys are so relaxed and enjoying their lego and planx, rediscovering old toys, reading library books and honing their Wii skills.  Somehow, inspite of the busy days there is very little "lying-in" here and we are all up and active before 7am.  Rob slinks out in his suit just as we are downing our smoothies and planning our next outing.

I can't deny that there have been days that I have felt battle weary and like I am going slowly crazy.  Call me a princess, but this is my first seven week holiday without help and it has had its moments.  I have had three full-on little guys around me for 15 hours a day which can wear out the toughest amongst us.  There has been no Lara and Liesel or granny to take them off my hands overnight or for the day; no Mavis to leave them with while I shoot off for retail therapy or coffee.  Play dates have actually been quite lean as we are the new kids on the block.  The two families we are the closest to headed for Cape Town for the whole holiday!  We have had lots of invitations to meet for a play but no down time for mom!  On the whole I have had a blast, but I can't deny that it has felt very relentless at times.  Grocery shopping with three wild boys all over the trolley can test the patience of a seasoned mother.  There have been disagreements to mediate, games to play, speech therapy to keep up on, bikes to push,  traffic to navigate, ice cream trucks to negotiate, picnics to pack, cookies to bake, paintings to do, stories to read, trees to climb (to rescue small bodies), bums to wipe, meals to cook, clothes to wash and hang out, rooms to tidy, beds to make, and finally, three warm bodies to tuck in at night.  Phew!  It's the endless table manners, disputes, disciplining, explaining and listening that gets you.  "Feed them and they grow", I am told.  Let's hope.

I always felt guilty sitting with my feet up and a cup of coffee when Mavis was cleaning around me or playing with Hugo.  Now I long to do just that and seldom have the time.  That's the irony of life, I guess.

I am looking forward to the new term, I confess.  Our builder starts working on the new house in two weeks.  I start cleaning and painting over there too and we plan to move in a month's time.  This time finances and council delays dictate that we will have to live through some of the renovations but we won't be put off.  We are so excited about making a house a home again. 

But for now, we are meeting the gang at Zephyr Cafe for morning snacks and play.  This evening we are going north for a braai with the Jordans and tomorrow is a public holiday:  Australia Day.  We are all joining in the celebrations and fireworks.  It's 30 degrees, a bit cooler today and we are just about ready to go out.  I just  have to find the hats, pack the water bottles, hang out the washing, make the bed and unpack the dishwasher!  We'll get there eventually and I will somehow manage to get everyone's order right and cope with a milkshake falling over, too!  Holidays, you gotta love 'em.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my giddy aunt! I hear you, sista! I hear you! And I applaud you. Looks like we traded in our princess heels for a pair of Cinderella flats! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mothering is for the energetic, that's for sure (even with Mavis) - phew!! without her, I just don't know - not sure I would cope at all. You're doing GREAT! When does school start?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am exhausted just reading this. You really do need a break. Wish I could help. Lots of love xxxxx

    ReplyDelete