Thursday, April 7, 2011

ensuite garage

Yes, we have one.  It's a new trend in Perth that we have started.  We have just broken through from the master bedroom to the garage and this is what it looks like...

master bedroom

Rob's parents arrive in less than two weeks and this is our bedroom!  The garage will eventually be our walk-in dressing room and study.  I keep thinking the mess can't possibly get worse.  We must have turned the corner by now, and then it does.  It just gets worse!  Yesterday I arrived home to a wet saw slicing through the only three walls left in our lounge to make way for the new doors/windows that have arrived.  Red mud was sliding down the walls as if they were bleeding from their wounds and dust filled the cavity where one day I may have a couch. 

If it wasn't for the overriding emotion of excitement for what I know will be an awesome end result, I would be weeping. 

Despite the never ending chaos of home, we forge on to the many rugby practises, karate training, kiddie sports, speech therapy, play dates, swimming lessons, cubs, grocery shopping and errands.  We gather around the oasis of our kitchen bench top and pull together meals amidst the rubble.  I compete for noise from the drills with my smoothie machine.  The boys are quite used to going to school and work with dust on their trousers and bags. 

We have been reminded of how important it is to have a sanctuary for down time; a place to put your feet up and relax; a place to unwind from your world.  It has not been easy living without the basic comfort of a couch or a clean space to push a toy car.  While Rob and I can fully appreciate why we have taken on a project of this size and hold out for the finish line, the children don't always get it.  And yet, they have really managed well.  There have been days of frustration at not being able to invite friends home, or not being able to find something, or not having my full attention while I am painting yet another door frame.  But on the whole they have coped really well.

On our way to one of his many activities, Russell and I past a beautiful house proudly displaying a SOLD sign and he looked longingly at the freshly painted walls and landscaped garden and innocently said:  "Remind me again why we don't just buy houses like this one."  At that moment of sheer exhaustion, I couldn't really muster up a good enough answer so I just blamed the inner builder in Rob and said I wasn't sure.

This too shall pass.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there sweetie - John and Viv will be there soon and maybe you can put them to work ???????!!!!!!!! Love me. xxx

    ReplyDelete