Sunday, July 22, 2012

another year

We have lived in Australia for over two years now.  The first two are supposed to be the hardest.  Well we feel very settled and very happy.  The longing for special people, places and smells will never go away but the rich experience of being here is just brilliant.  This has been the best decision for our family.

This has been a very big twelve months.  Rob has established himself in a new career, I have started building a business.  The boys have each grown and developed and really started making good friends this year.  Having all three at full time school has been a shift for us as we move into the next phase.  We are now living in a beautiful home that is almost complete!

I went back to "seconds please" that I wrote a year ago.  It was interesting to reflect on the lessons we had learned in our first year.  This is what I have learned this year:

depth of friendship is not measured by how long you have known someone
relationships evolve and change
women are amazing, incredible and resilient
there's a part of me that isn't alive when I am not working outside of our home
our skills, education and experience can be reapplied in a new situation
to render and paint a wall
I can drop my standards on housework a little
life and health are fragile
I still have so much to learn from our three boys
Rob has an incredible capacity to cope with stress and challenge
with faith, anything is possible

We're half way to citizenship.  Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment