Friday, September 7, 2012

crashing grans

While I have been a bit quiet, one of my big prayers has been answered.  We have adopted an Australian Granny.  I have been interviewing for one for a while now - that is asking just about anyone over 65 if our boys can come for a sleep over.  It's something we really miss here.  It can be tough not having family nearby especially when we have been used to grannies and grandpas who were so much part of our lives.

A few Fridays ago I was unpacking my work kit from my car at the unusual hour of 11pm.  As I was walking up the path with my last load, I was frozen by the loudest, closest bang I had ever heard!  A new Mercedes Benz Coupe had come hurtling down our street and the driver had misjudged a bakkie (Ute/pick up truck) parked against the verge and had clipped it!  Suffice to say the Ute was pushed up its driveway and the Mercedes was ripped to shreds.  The bonnet buckled over the roof and came to a screeching halt right in front of our driveway.  Out of the crumbled heap climbed the dearest elderly lady called Madge.  She was all shaken and confused so I took her inside for a cup of tea while Rob and the men of the street got into action sorting out the details.  In the early hours of a Saturday morning, Madge and I bonded over cups of tea and tears as she got over the wreck she had caused on a 1km trip home from a dinner party.  I helped her through the breathalyser test (which she thankfully passed!) and the paperwork, and gathered her belongings from her boot. 

Granny Maggie and the boys have become firm friends.  She lives just around the corner opposite our favourite park.  I text her when the boys are going for a play and she watches from her kitchen window or wanders down for a chat.  She is actually a great-granny of 75 and twice widowed.  We visit one another for tea and have a budding friendship that melts the years between us.  She is a wonderful Aussie lady with a beautiful story and warm heart.  She made a silly mistake that night but her collision with a Ute made her collide with us.  God works in mysterious ways!

It is comforting for us both to know that we have each other just around the corner.  I am excited at the prospect of a local granny for our boys and I am enjoying getting to know this lovely lady.  She entered our lives with a great big bang and we are enjoying her so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment