Monday, May 30, 2011

what's going on?

I seem to have lost myself in this void of domestic chores, DIY and three boys' lives.  I haven't grabbed a moment to blog since Granny and Grampa left and I have missed the therapy of writing.

So where have I been?  Every spare minute has been put to painting endless window frames and skirting boards to avoid the going rate of $300 a day for someone else to do it.  I have hit the wall a bit (in more ways than one!) and called in some help for the next three days.  Phil has now taken up where I left off and our new tri-fold doors are magically changing from raw wood to white enamel without me ripping my trousers or painting my hair.  What a relief.  I did, however, force myself to do the TV lounge skirting before I earned the right to sit here with my cuppa. 

Then there has also been the rugby tournament on Saturday at our home club where Adam played two matches and Russell played one.  We should have quit while we were ahead and skipped out of there at midday but we chose to stop at the enormous jumping castle for a bounce and Russell twisted his ankle quite badly.  He is now strapped up and hobbling woefully around.

We are so excited about the fact that our house looks almost normal that we have spent the last two weekends entertaining flat out.  No less than five other families have had a meal here in the last 10 days and it has been such fun to be back in that mode.

It goes without saying that the usual dross of housework caught up with me while we were having fun with our visitors so I have been moving furniture and spring cleaning like crazy.  I have finally moved Adam into his own room and have been sorting out all the boys' winter clothes as the season changes.  It is a shock to see how much they have all grown in a year.

I am back at my ladies bible study group every second Thursday and am really enjoying the people and the message.

I am addicted to Masterchef Australia Season 2 and justify an hour 5 days a week watching this show by using the time to do the ironing.  It is a show stopper which has our whole family enthralled and is playing havoc with our bed time routine.

And then there is the endless tasks of choosing light fittings, deciding on building finishes, looking for bathroom taps and vanities and arranging various tradesmen and their invoices.  Our garage plans have now been approved by the local council and we are going ahead as soon as we can get the builder back in about three weeks.  Our study and walk in robes are almost complete and next weekend we will be able to paint and build cupboards.  Our en suite and laundry are our next priority and the floor for the laundry will go down this week.  It is all very exciting and starting to look fantastic.

Whenever we can, Hugo and I get out for a ride on our two-person bike and we both really enjoy that time together.  I run as often as I can and am enjoying the fact that the weather allows for a later run now.

We are fast approaching our first anniversary in Australia.  Every word of this blog has helped me to stop for a minute and to keep in touch with all our emotions as we step forward daily.  It has been, and still is, an amazing journey of self discovery.  Some things have been unbloggable.  This year has had us on our knees and in tears.  It has also allowed us to count our blessings.  We have come a long way...

1 comment:

  1. I have missed you and hearing the news - so glad you are back on air. This blog made me tired just reading it but then I remembered that firstly you are younger than me and secondly you have more energy than me. xxxx

    ReplyDelete