Sunday, January 29, 2012

man world

I live in it. 

I am mostly immersed in burping and farting contests, boy jokes, dirt and inventions.  This house is full of lego, cars, sports gear and paper aeroplanes.  Whenever I sit down to blog I find one of two windows open on my pc:  Minecraft or Boat Sales.  We discuss the mechanics of just about everything.  Our conversations about girls sway between "uggh" and "mmmmm".  There's Billabong and Rip Curl to contend with and undies hanging out of pants.  I have to rotate the clothing piles to see these mini men in different colours and am constantly surprised at what I find in their drawers when I do.

Showering is an optional extra that requires some encouragement.  The default position on the toilets is up.  We do push ups and crunches.  We wrestle and fight.  We run races and arm wrestle or play "Ching, Chong, Cha" for position.  There are tool boxes everywhere and woodburners are fun.  We judge a stranger by the accessories on his scooter.  We build forts and tree houses.  We love camping and bugs.  There's always a table tennis contestant waiting to be challenged and masses of food being consumed.

The dog is our best friend and our enemy is Darth Vadar.  We fall asleep to the stories of Zac Power and dream of Pokemons and Dragons.

It's a man world alright.  Until Mom flashes her pink credit card or unpacks her lingerie work kit and the world starts to tilt off centre.

Recently Hugo and I entered a friend's house via the back yard to avoid waking the baby.  She has three beautiful girls and one boy.  Hugo stopped suddenly at the sight of all the pink and frills and exclaimed:  "Wow, they have a beautiful washline!"

Man world.  I love it.

1 comment: