Saturday, November 5, 2011

gnomesville

While on our Bunbury escape we stumbled across some gnomes who impressed me so much, they deserve their own moment in my blog.

gnomes everywhere

As far as the eye can see is a field of gnomes near Bunbury.  These little men and women have been left here over the past few years in honour of a loved one who has passed away or to remember a significant occasion such as a "hens' weekend ".  They represent various schools, Rotary Clubs, churches and social groups from around Western Australia and beyond.  There is an unwritten invitation to paint and place your garden gnome where you feel he/she will be happy for all to enjoy.  It is a treat just walking through the pathways and reading each plaque and taking in each story.  There are young gnomes, old gnomes, naked gnomes and smoking gnomes.  Each has a story to read and enjoy.

I am told that the thing to do in Australia in the 80's (when gnomes held pride of place in the front yard) was to steal your neighbour's gnome and then send postcards back to its owners from the gnome as you traveled around the country.  These little fellas then found there way to an open field near Bunbury and Gnomesville began. 

I even managed to hold an INTIMO lingerie party in Gnomesville as I found a group in dire need of a panty upgrade.

tough customers

My favourites were the gnomes who were clearly far from home.

migrant gnomes

Then you have to love the sense of humour in this:



1 comment:

  1. Isn't it funny that I had a post about gnomes in my blog too??? I love Australian gnomes xx

    ReplyDelete