Thursday, August 18, 2011

Technology

You've got to love it.  So here I am at 40 just getting to grips with my first Smart Phone which is reminding me daily how unsmart I am.  I haven't felt the need for another gizmo that does everything from googling to emailing with cute rings and 10mb cameras until now.  What would be more useful to me is a gadget that smacks the kids or puts out the garbage or makes the beds for that matter.  Well I have now discovered that the cheapest of cheap mobile contracts ($29 per month) now gives me more airtime and texting than I have time to make and it all happens on the smartest of smart phones.  The trouble is that I was not supposed to wait for the 4th generation of smart phones to get one or I may have been lucky enough to get a user guide/manual with the phone.  No, Samsung and all its cousins, assume that by now we all know how to sync our blogs with our diaries and our notepads with our photo albums.  So I am muddling on just barely managing to save a phone number at this stage.

This issue was compounded by the fact that almost every time I pushed a new button the phone would ask me in bold Times New Roman to open my gmail account.  In desperation while out, I entered what I thought was my gmail details from my blog but inadvertently changed two of the letters which registered a new account.  When I tried to go to rarahs, the blog had slipped off my profile as I was logging in via the new gmail address!  That one lodged in my brain for some reason and I now have two different google profiles.  I struggled most of last night to get to the bottom of the missing blog.  I went into help forums and chat rooms (as one does when one has any problem from chest pain to disappearing blogs or both) and couldn't resolve my issue.  After a rough night's sleep I woke up with the thought that maybe, just maybe, I had another gmail account.  I went to my trusty real life tactile paper notebook and paged back to last year this time where I had scrawled the details of my blog as rarahs was conceived, formed and born.  I instantly saw the mistake and logged in effortlessly.  Thank goodness for that little book that could not possibly have died in the computer crash but was safely on my book shelf.

My go slow which led to many emails, messages and fb postings; my vent about the void; and then this small typing technical hitch have made me realise how fond I am of rarahs.  It's my baby and my moment to regroup.  It teaches me stuff about myself all the time and makes me stop to count my blessings.  It gives me the freedom of speech I want, the voice from the podium I like, company in the dark. 

Most of all it made me realise that I am not ready to let YOU go out of my life and probably never will be.

2 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled you managed to sort out the problem. I am now so excited that I have a few blogs to read and catch up. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you glad that you wrote it all down in a notebook - 'the old fashioned way' ;)

    ReplyDelete