Monday, August 30, 2010

66 minutes

We finished the Perth Surf to City 12km run yesterday along with about 20 000 other people.  It was such an amazing day and event.  The road was full as far as we could see and the crowds lined the streets, clapping their encouragement and approval.  Yesterday was a spectacularly warm day and the sun beat down on us as we climbed the hills in the city, ran through the parks and finally felt the sea breeze as we headed towards the ocean.  Rob has definitely gone soft on me.  He started the race beside me and stayed with me all the way to the finish!  We crossed the finish line in just over 66 minutes and had a lot of fun together.  For the first time we felt as if we were part of the city.  This morning I am very chuffed with myself and a little bit tired and sore but am already looking forward to the next race.

I have just spent the morning zooming around my (empty) house doing the weekly big clean up.  While I refuse to be a slave to my house, neither Rob nor I can live in a mess so it's a fine balancing act.  I usually enlist the help of my boys and do most of the cleaning in the hour between getting ready for school and walking out the door at 8.40.  The only day that gets more attention than that is Monday when I come home and get stuck in for a good and thorough clean.  And then, there's the laundry for five.  I just do that in between everything else, when I get a chance.  I am training the boys to tidy and clean and so far they have been really helpful.  They can vacuum and clean the car, wield the vacuum around the house and tidy up quite well.  We have already seen some of the dirtiest houses ever here.  We have also seen some of the cleanest with the most frazzled owners, so you just have to find your own rhythm and not let it take over your short life.

After all our cleaning, Hugo and I had a lovely picnic on the grass at the back of our house:  tea and jam sandwiches, and now we are off to do a quick shop.  This week is going to be good, with or without my furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment