Wednesday, August 18, 2010

doppelgangers

This is a phenomena that I can't get over.  Have you ever heard of doppelgangers?  This happens to me all the time and I have to quote Bianca Swanepoel's blog (themigratingswans) to explain.  Bi is in Auckland and she says:

"I'll be merrily going about my business, when I'll spot a person who looks EXACTLY LIKE someone back in South Africa. SHOO-EE - how weird is that? Not as weird as it may seem, actually. For those of us who did PSYCHOLOGY 101, it's easily explained. But it still weirds me out. The mind is such a complex thing. This severe separation has left a gaping hole in my life, and to assimilate it all, my mind is throwing out these flashes of familiarity. I then spend the rest of that day thinking about that person, other friends and events. Sometimes these flashes make me feel desperately alone and so very far away from 'myself'. It's like mourning, in a way, I guess. I long to just hug a friend, sit and have a coffee and a chat with them again. Have a laugh. I desperately miss that familiarity."

I keep on passing you in the street.  I kid you not!  This mostly happens on my run when my mind is quiet.  I will pass someone walking/running on the river path and do a double take.  Just before I call out to them, my mind takes control and I realise it can't possibly be who I think it is.  Man, this is weird.  My mind is trying to work out where I am.  So now I know I am not losing it.  There is a term for this and doppelgangers live all over God's earth.

1 comment: