Thursday, August 26, 2010

tuckshop duty

Good citizen that I am, I responded to the desperate call to help in the primary school tuckshop.  My expectation was, of course, to sell a few bags of popcorn through the hatch to some eager children.  I arrived at 8.45am to take the lunch orders and then donned an apron and got cooking!  School goes on until 3pm so the "tuckshop" is a full canteen which serves everything from sushi to fish and hash browns to toasted sandwiches and burgers.  I was put to work operating an industrial strength electric ham slicer and then made copious quantities of macaroni cheese.  The other mums were good fun and when I could keep up with their accents I managed to pick up some hot shopping tips. 

Serrving the children was quite nerve racking as I had to think on my feet and offer the correct change in Aussie money which still hasn't quite settled in my mind yet.

Mission accomplished, I met a few of Russell's new friends and chatted to some new mums.  I also now understand what all the drinks and snacks are on the menu and can help the boys to order their tuck with confidence.

We are off to the city after school to meet Rob and register for our run on Sunday.  It will be our first walk through the Perth ICC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment